No more asset seizure: Eric Holder bans controversial ‘war on drugs’ tactic

State and local police in the United States will no longer be able to use federal laws to justify seizing property without evidence of a crime, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said on Friday.

The practice of local police taking property, including cash and cars, from people that they stop, and of handing it over to federal authorities, became common during the country’s war on drugs in the 1980s.

Holder cited “safeguarding civil liberties” as a reason for the change in policy.

The order directs federal agencies who have collected property during such seizures to withdraw their participation, except if the items collected could endanger the public, as in the case of firearms.

By Julia Edwards – Raw Story –

New Oversight Chairman Subpoenas Holder Over Fast & Furious

In his first move as the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman, Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz has issued another subpoena to Attorney General Eric Holder over Operation Fast and Furious.

The move comes as Holder prepares to leave the Justice Department and as senators ready a confirmation hearing for his replacement, federal prosecutor Loretta Lynch. Holder has been subpoenaed over Fast and Furious before and in June 2012 became the first sitting attorney general in history to be held in criminal and civil contempt of Congress for failing to turn over thousands of documents to congressional investigators.

Chaffetz follows in the footsteps of former Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa, who pursued a number of Obama administration scandals from 2010-2014.

UPDATE: It should be noted that the new subpoena is identical to subpoenas previously issued to Holder in 2011 and 2013. Subpoenas expire at the end of every Congress and must be reissued.

By Katie Pavlich – Townhall.com –

15 Reasons America’s Police Are So Brutal

Handcuffed teenagers beaten bloody with guns. Unarmed people shot and killed in their cars. Cops firing guns carelessly into busy streets. Mentally ill people tasered in ambulances. Supervisors refusing to challenge a brutal status quo.

These examples didn’t come from the New York City Police Department or Ferguson, Missouri, where the killing of unarmed black men by white cops has created a national outcry over institutional racism and excessive force. They were from Ohio, where the U.S. Department of Justice just finished an investigation and report on abusive and often unconstitutional policing by Cleveland Division of Police between 2010 and 2013. They were compiled before November 22, when a rookie officer shot and killed a 12-year-old African-American boy, Tamir Rice, for waving a toy gun around on a playground.

The DOJ’s findings raise big questions. It’s not just how widespread is the problem of excessive force and a corresponding lack of accountability. The harder questions include what can be done to change police culture, reverse many out-of-control tactics, and instill a belief across entire forces that restraint and accountability protect cops and civilians.

“We found that field supervisors are failing in some of the most fundamental aspects of their responsibilities—reviewing and investigating the uses of force of the officers under their command, and correcting dangerous tactical choices that place the officer and others at risk,” Mayor Frank Jackson said of the report, underscoring systemic problems.

When releasing the report, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder announced the DOJ would work with Cleveland under a consent decree and a federal court will oversee reforms. But a decade ago, the DOJ also investigated police abuses in Cleveland and found similar patterns surrounding excessive force. The city’s police pledged reforms would come—yet the department’s nasty status quo obviously has resurfaced.

By Steven Rosenfeld – AlterNet –

School To Implement Racist Punishment Against White Kids

The contemptible Attorney General Eric Holder has injected his views on forced racial equality into the federal Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

Eric Holder believes that schools should have a race-based system of punishment for their students, and thinks that black students should receive smaller punishments than white students.

The Daily Caller is reporting that Minneapolis Public Schools has bought into this line of thinking as well, and will be implementing a new review policy for suspensions, for the purpose of eliminating a perceived racial gap. This comes after an investigation by the Education Department’s Office of Civil Rights into why more minority students are suspended than white students.

MPS Superintendent Bernadeia Johnson said, “I and all of my staff will start to review all non-violent suspensions of students of color, especially black boys, to understand why they’re being suspended so we can help intervene with teachers, student leaders and help give them the targeted support they need for these students.”

Johnson’s office also put out a press release about their new policy, which begins this coming Monday. The press release reads, in part….

From the Conservative Tribune –

Fed Up With Govt Misconduct, Federal Judge Takes Nuclear Option

By Sidney Powell – New York Observer –

Federal Prosecutor Alleges Boss Pressured Him To Engage in ‘Unethical Conduct’; Judge Calls Abuses ‘Egregious,’ ‘Pervasive,” and “Reprehensible”

Judge Morrison C. England Jr. ordered the entire judiciary recused from a case another judge called “egregious” and “reprehensible”

In perhaps the most stunning documentation yet of abuses by Eric Holder’s Justice Department, two former Assistant United States Attorneys spoke to defense attorneys and revealed appalling deceit and corruption of justice. This latest litigation time bomb has exploded from multi-million dollar litigation originally brought by the Department of Justice against Sierra Pacific based on allegations that the lumber company and related defendants were responsible for a wildfire that destroyed 65,000 acres in California.

In what was dubbed the “Moonlight Fire” case, the tables are now turned. The defendants have discovered new evidence and filed a stunning motion. The new evidence and disclosures are being taken seriously by the Chief Judge of the Eastern District of California—as they should be. In a shocking action, Judge Morrison C. England Jr. ordered the recusal of every federal judge in the Eastern District of California.

Sierra Pacific Industries and other defendants were compelled to pay $55 million to the United States over a period of five years and transfer 22,500 acres of land to settle massive litigation brought against them by the United States alleging that they caused a 2007 fire that destroyed 65,000 acres in California. Sierra Pacific has always maintained that the fire started elsewhere and that the state and federal investigators and Department attorneys lied. Now that settlement may go up in smoke because of the new evidence of outrageous misconduct by the federal prosecutors and the investigators from state and federal offices, as well as findings earlier this year by a state judge.

In an extraordinary development, Judge England, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, ordered the recusal of all the Eastern District judges from the case because of serious allegations that the Court itself was defrauded by the government in the original prosecution. To avoid any appearance of partiality, he has referred the case to Ninth Circuit Chief Judge Alex Kozinski to appoint a judge from outside the Eastern District to handle the case going forward. Judge Kozinski has excoriated prosecutors for failing to meet their legal and ethical obligations.

The order notes that the defendants filed an action this week to set aside the $55 million settlement because, as the defendants allege, “the United States presented false evidence to the Defendants and the Court; advanced arguments to the Court premised on that false evidence; or, for which material evidence had been withheld, and obtaining court rulings based thereon; prepared key Moonlight Fire investigators for depositions, and allowed them to repeatedly give false testimony about the most important aspects of their investigation; and failed to disclose the facts and circumstances associated with the Moonlight Fire lead investigator’s direct financial interest in the outcome of the investigation arising from an illegal bank account that has since been exposed and terminated.”

The Sacramento Bee reported on the Defendant’s filing. Indeed, the Defendants’ motion informs us that a former Assistant United States Attorney came forward and disclosed that he believes that he was removed from the original prosecution by “his boss, David Shelledy, chief of the civil division in the United States Attorney’s office,” because he “rebuffed” pressure to “engage in unethical conduct as a lawyer.” Of course, like other former prosecutors who were unethical, Mr. Shelledy is to receive Attorney General Holder’s highest award for excellence—this week.

The defendants also reveal that another former federal prosecutor, Eric Overby, left the Moonlight Fire prosecution team also, stating: “It’s called the Department of Justice. It’s not called the Department of Revenue.” According to the motion, Mr. Overby told defense counsel that in his entire career, “I’ve never seen anything like this. Never.”

Well, sadly we have….

The entire original prosecution against Sierra Pacific appears to have been driven by the Department of Justice’s interest in hitting a “deep pocket” for millions of dollars of revenue. The Defendants’ motion to set aside the settlement reveals a series of fraudulent acts by federal and state authorities that defiles our system of justice….

A California state judge, Leslie C. Nichols, in a related state case issued orders earlier this year describing what he called “egregious,” “pervasive,” and “reprehensible” abuses in the investigation and prosecution amounting to “government corruption.” He found the state case to “betray the primary purpose of the judicial system—to reveal the truth.” He awarded $32 million in fees and expenses to the Defendants, finding as the Sacramento Bee reports, that the state agency, Cal Fire, “withheld some documents, destroyed other evidence and ‘engaged in a systematic campaign of misdirection with the purpose of recovering money’ from Sierra Pacific.”

It’s encouraging to see Judge England join Judge Emmet G. Sullivan and Judge Bates, and others, as our Article III judges begin to demand that federal attorneys and agents follow the law and their oaths of office. But there remains a lot more work to do. It’s way past time to hold Holder accountable….

 
Continue Reading

Holder Resigns One Step Ahead of the Burning Bridge

By Dave Hodges – TheCommonSenseShow.com –

For months, my sources have told me that Obama will not serve out his entire second term if he does not eradicate the Syrian/Iranian threat to the Federal Reserve’s petrodollar.

Inside sources state that Obama will either be impeached and convicted for high crimes and possibly even treason. Former Attorney General, Eric Holder, has been with Obama every step of the way. Simply put, if Holder stays, he goes to jail, and he knows it.

The fallback plan is for Holder to resign, take the blame for no less than five scandals and then have Obama pardon him before Holder can be prosecuted. With Holder taking the fall for the major scandals of the Obama administration, the trail of criminality ends with Holder’s resignation. This is Obama’s way of staying one step ahead of the burning bridge.

The Facilitation of Criminal Banking

I have interviewed for HSBC Vice-President, John Cruz, as he has detailed how he attempted to inform federal authorities about the criminal money laundering organization present at his bank. Included in the notification of Federal sources was none other than Eric Holder.

When HSBC’s criminal money laundering scheme, on behalf of the Sinoloa drug cartel became common knowledge, Holder excused his passive support by saying that the economy would have suffered if HSBC had been taken down.

Too Big to Fail

When Wall Street played the Ponzi scheme game known as credit-swap derivatives, and broke a multitude of SEC laws, Holder refused to even investigate if major investment firms such as Goldman Sachs had broken the law.

Whistleblowers Purged

Holder has done more to prosecute and stifle whistle-blowing than any other government official, both past and present, as he has made a career out of prosecuting these heroes.

Even the globalist mouthpiece, the New York Times strongly rebuked Holder for spying on journalists and threatening to arrest other journalists for investigating the Obama administration. Let’s not forget that Hastings, Breitbart and Clancy died under very mysterious circumstances under Holder’s watch.

 
Continue Reading

Judge Denies DOJ Request to Delay Release of Fast and Furious, Holder In Contempt

By Katie Pavlich – Townhall.com –

U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates has denied a request from the Department of Justice to delay the release of a list of Operation Fast and Furious documents being protected under President Obama’s assertion of executive privilege.

The list, better known as a Vaughn index, was requested through a June 2012 FOIA filing by government watchdog Judicial Watch. When DOJ didn’t respond to the FOIA request in the time required by law, Judicial Watch sued in September 2012, seeking all documents DOJ and the White House are withholding from Congress under executive privilege claims. President Obama made the assertion on June 20, 2012 just moments before Attorney General Eric Holder was held in contempt. In July 2014, after two years of battling for information, Judge Bates ordered the Department of Justice to release the Vaughn Index by October 1. DOJ responded by asking for a month long delay in releasing the list with a deadline of November 3, just one day before the 2014-midterm elections. That request has been denied. A short delay was granted and DOJ must produce the Vaughn index by October 22.

“The government’s arguments for even more time are unconvincing,” Bates said in his ruling… “given that this matter has been pending for over two years. The Court will therefore extend the Department’s Vaughn index submission deadline to October 22, 2014—and no further.”

 
Continue Reading